Monday 16 December 2013

Re-telling bedtime stories

One of my favourite activities is reading stories to my toddler.  For the most part, his attention span doesn't last through several pages of story, but I still enjoy reading them.  However, I've learned that we need to find the original versions of stories!

There is an unfortunate trend to "re-tell" classic stories, in the dullest and most uninspiring way possible.  I love to read Kipling aloud; the words flow from the tongue and inspire the imagination with thoughts of far-away places and magic.  T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats inspires my oratory.  But a re-telling of Charles Perrault's Puss in Boots kills any enthusiasm for the resourceful feline.

I guess with freedom of speech and all that we can't stop people from messing up good stories, but but comparing words that were meant to be read aloud to a mere accounting of events, well, there is no comparison.


No comments:

Post a Comment